OK so the toy volunteers were persuaded to have their picture taken for this article but just look how happy they are!
This week is Volunteers' Week which is a chance to say thank you for the fantastic contribution millions of volunteers make across the UK.
It takes place 1-7 June every year and is an opportunity to celebrate volunteering in all its diversity.
The benefits of volunteering are many and include lowering stress, making friends and finding a purpose in life. For further information on this event and how you can get involved you can visit the Volunteers Week website.
This week is walk to school week and here on CommunitySpaceBook we're supporting anything that gets people out of their cars and into their walking shoes!
Did you know that walking can:
- Lift your mood - walking helps lift depression
- Help keep you slim - walking is a good form of exercise which is lower impact than running and therefore suitable gor most people
- Help you to destress by removing stress hormones from your body more quickly and helping you clear your mind
- Boost your bone strength as it is weight bearing exercise which helps you keep bone density
- Help your social life - yes you're more likely to meet and speak to people if you get out and walk
- Help the environment - no burning petrol or diesel for short journeys
- Be a lot cheaper as it's completely free!
This week (30 April - 6 May) is National Gardening Week. What better time than now on May Day to get outside and enjoy a garden?
On the National Gardening Week website there are some fantastic ideas for getting community organisations and charities involved this National Gardening Week, including:
- Get your group together and transform or clean-up an unused or neglected space in your area (with permission)
- If you have a garden or space, hold a garden party to celebrate the work you do. Invite your friends, neighbours and the community and show them how they can get involved
So today I'm thinking about how I can live more lightly on this planet. After all there is only one planet Earth and rather a lot of us humans. In the week where we celebrate World Earth Day, I'm considering my use of plastic. This is quite topical at the moment and so I'm reviewing the small choices I can make to reduce my use of plastic items and packaging.
As you can see I eat porridge oats for my breakfast, so I've decided to swap my supermarket for this purchase. As you can see, my previous Morrisons oats come wrapped in an unrecyclable plastic bag, whereas the Lidl equivalent comes in recyclable paper. Don't worry I go past Lidl anyway, so not making an extra journey and the price of my breakfast will be the same. If you're listening Mr Morrisons - use less plastic!
April is National Pet Month which aims to raise awareness of responsible pet ownership through educational campaigns and celebrate the benefits of our pets and encourage fundraising for the nation’s needy pets.
Here at CommunitySpaceBook we support pets as well as humans as we know the great joy they can bring. So today we are celebrating some of our groups who support people bysupporting their pets.
International Women's Day is today, Thursday 8th March, where we celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievement of women.
This week on CommunitySpaceBook we bring to you three very different groups but with women as a common theme.