Wow well what a hot summer we've been having! What better time than now to fire up the barbecue and invite a few friends round for some food and drinks?
Sadly not everyone is so lucky so today we're going to spare a thought for those who need a little bit of help and the organisations who are helping to provide emergency food supplies to some of the most vulnerable in our society.
A recent article in The Guardian highlighted the plight of families struggling to feed their children during the summer holidays. The Trussell Trust said an increase in food bank use over the summer was driven by a rise in demand by children, as it released figures from its network of food banks across the country. The public are asked to donate to their local food bank during the summer holidays owing to increasing demand from families who rely on free school meals during term time.
This week is walk to school week and here on CommunitySpaceBook we're supporting anything that gets people out of their cars and into their walking shoes!
Did you know that walking can:
- Lift your mood - walking helps lift depression
- Help keep you slim - walking is a good form of exercise which is lower impact than running and therefore suitable gor most people
- Help you to destress by removing stress hormones from your body more quickly and helping you clear your mind
- Boost your bone strength as it is weight bearing exercise which helps you keep bone density
- Help your social life - yes you're more likely to meet and speak to people if you get out and walk
- Help the environment - no burning petrol or diesel for short journeys
- Be a lot cheaper as it's completely free!
Wow! So after all the awful weather the country's been having, the change this week to some more spring like weather is very welcome. All around I see spring bulbs growing and starting to flower with the snowdrops and crocuses winning the race so far.
We are also enjoying longer days and this weekend the clocks go forward so we can start to enjoy lighter evenings too.